Isn’t it a wonderful experience to have a nice deck in your home? It is perfect for outdoor BBQ parties, your kids’ big day celebrations, family toasts, summer grilling ideas, and a lot more fun bonding experiences for your family, friends, and relatives. It is also a great view and an additional accent to your home that gives beauty in the neighborhood and the community around you.
It is very tempting to have a deck in your home, however, having a stunning deck might not as easy as you think. It requires major decisions, it is a little bit expensive, and you may even overspent with the wrong design. So, you have to make sure that you choose the right design that suits your lifestyle and budget.
In this article, you can learn some tips on how to choose the right design for your deck along with some amazing deck designs, types of materials to choose from, estimated budget, people you need to deal with, and some do-it-yourself ideas to save money.
You can follow these step-by-step procedure on how to choose the right design for your deck:
Choose the right location
The location is very important for having a deck. You cannot just simply decide to put it in the backyard, in front of the house, or anywhere with available space. You have to consider some things before choosing the right location such as:
- Privacy- if you want a deck that promotes intimate family dinners or private parties, then you might want to consider building your deck at the backyard or near the fence or a tree.
- Deck’s purpose- if your purpose for having a deck is to have a great view, then you should place it in front of your house, or if the deck’s purpose is for parties, then you might consider putting it in a place where sufficient space is available to accommodate guests during parties.
- Sunlight and shade- if you want a deck that kisses the wonderful sun in the morning, then you might consider placing it on the part where the sun shines in the morning. If you want to use your deck for relaxation, you might want to put it in a shady place or have an umbrella over it.
Determine the right type
The size of the deck should complement to its usage, or else you will definitely get the wrong size. Your deck can be either of the three sizes below:
- Raised- this size is perfect for smaller places. You might want to have a raised deck that has an under-deck garden or patio to accommodate more people.
- Layered- if you have a huge place, this size if perfect for you, and you can also find a lot of inspiring deck designs that you might want to consider.
- Floor level- this is often seen with plain designs, but there are also some innovating designs to choose from. The floor lever deck is perfect at the front of the house.
Make some designs to choose from
You can hire an architect or designer for deck designs, but you can also do your own design. It is ideal to have a couple of designs to choose from and decide what suits your personality, lifestyle, the deck size, the color contrast with your house, and your budget. Some of the designs you might want to consider are:
- Tree house
Planning the materials to be used
Planning the materials are very important so that they may compliment the house. It determines how long the deck lasts and what kind of maintenance you should implement to maximize the deck’s potential. Here are some materials you might want to consider:
- Wood- IPE hardwood, Redwood, and Cedar are some examples of great wood
- Composite- materials that are partly wooded and partly plastic
- PVC- materials that won’t stain and fade
You can choose the size and materials depending on your budget, you can check different sites online to have a budget idea.